Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Gift of You

Dear Grandpa,
Today is your birthday -
And it seems strange -
Because I am
The one
Who has
Received the gift.
"What gift?"
You might ask.
Well, Grandpa...
The gift of
You.
Though today is
Your birthday,
I am the one
Feeling so lucky
To have a
Great grandpa
Like you.
I have three decades
Of memories
To look back on.
When I forgot the
Jokes
I told you
As a little girl,
You reminded me.
("A little girl
Once told
An older lady,
"Your socks
Are all wrinkled!"
And the older lady
Said,
"I don't have any
Socks on!")
I remember how
You sipped your coffee
In the mornings
So
Loudly,
To make
Me laugh.
I remember
Going to the
Store,
And picking out
A Big Wheel
To ride.
I remember how
Hard you worked
To alter the
Pedals
So that I
Could ride.
I think about you
Every time
I eat
Fresh vegetables.
I think about you
Every time
I watch
Wheel of Fortune.
I think about you
Every time
I hear a song.
I think about you
Every
Single
Day.
So in a way,
We are never
Apart
From one another.
You are the greatest
Gift
A great-granddaughter
Could ask for.
Thank you, Grandpa,
For everything
You are.
I love you
And I
Am always
With you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I always love hearing from you!