Monday, August 7, 2017

'Healing' Video

A man is praying.
And
Really
What's so wrong
With that?

Well, nothing.

Unless you look
Closer.
Unless you see
That the woman
Being prayed for
Is
Being prayed for
In the women's section
Of a department store.

Unless you see
How her hand covers her 
Neck, and does not move.
Guarding the 
Intense
Vulnerability
I know she feels.

Unless you notice
How the man
Never calls her 
By any name - 
Almost like
She isn't human.

She protests:
"I can't walk.  
This is just 
How I am."

And he screams at her:

"GET UP."

I am thrown back
Through time.

The man's hands
Change.
They take my crutches
And set them down
Away from me.
He paces with me.
He tries
To let
Go 
Of 
Me.

Time drags.

It feels like twenty minutes
(Twenty minutes too damn long.)

He never asked my name.
He just blamed
What didn't happen next
On me.

That's why I don't
Need to see
Videos of a man
Screaming at a woman.
Heedless of her discomfort
Of her very humanity
Of her dignity.

Because in the end
It's always about those
Who push themselves
On those of us
Who their acts
Harm 
Far more than
A disability
Ever 
Could.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I always love hearing from you!