Thursday, February 18, 2021

I am here
But I am nowhere
I'm in front of you
I am gone

Your solid ground
Is my iceberg

Slipping
Breaking
Cracking
Freezing

You accepted me
Embraced me
Enfolded me
Adopted me

Or so you said
Because
When next I looked
You were silent

And slowly -
Or not so slowly
At all - 
Solidness gave

Ground lost
Ground weakening
Ground
To a halt

Silence grows
I fade 
In your esteem
I'm a shadow

One you claim
When it's convenient
One you only
Performatively support

Your solid ground
Is no ground at all
And so I drift
'Til I am gone

From your sight
From everything
I thought
Was true

One more loss
One more trauma
One more thing
I thought I had

When all along
Between my hands
There was
Nothing at all.

2 comments:

  1. I identify with this poem. I have been diagnosed with depression for many years and talked about being on sensory overload. This is the first time I read it spoken of by other people. I will read more about all of this. Thank you. 🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you so much. I don't get many comments on my poetry so it took me a while to find this one. While not necessarily glad you relate, I'm glad you know you're not alone <3

      Delete

Please feel free to comment. I always love hearing from you!